What size necklace should I choose for a gift?
For a necklace or pendant, 16" is the suggested length for a woman with a dress size from size 6 to 10 and height of 5'4". If the person is smaller/taller you may want to choose a shorter or longer length. For bracelets, 7.5" is the average size. If you still are unsure, please call us and we can give you further tips depending on your situation.
What does the gift wrapping include?
All pearls come in a fabric pouch and a nice box with ribbon. If your item contains silver we will also place it in a plastic bag to avoid tarnishing. We wrap ribbon around the box so that you can inspect your item and easily re-wrap the gift. If you wish you can chose to add a note for free when you process your order.
Color of boxes, paper and ribbons may vary but we always keep it very beautiful!
Gifts always include a gift receipt.
Are all the jewels made by Bourdage Pearls?
The majority of our products are designed and manufactured at Bourdage Pearls, in Chicago. We are proud to make our own designs; however we also like to sell a few products from designers in the US who have a different style or technique from us.
How do you take care of pearls?
- Generally, pearls do not like chemicals so you should avoid spraying your perfume or hairspray on them.
- You should not wear them in the shower as the string may get weakened or again soap will dull the luster.
- Store them in a soft pouch or away from any harder gems as they could scratch the surface of the pearl.
- If your pearls are treated colors, you should keep them away from direct sunlight for an extended period of time.
- Pearls that are strung on string should be stored flat so that the string will not stretch.
- Pearls should not be stored in plastic for a long period of time as they may turn yellow.
- Pearls love your natural body oil and their luster will increase as they are next to your body. Make love while wearing them as much as possible!
How do I clean silver jewelry without hurting the pearls?
- Line shallow dish or bowl with Aluminum foil (shiny side up).
- Add a little powered tide (no bleach).
- Fill bowl with warm water (enough to cover item).
- Leave 30 seconds.
- Remove, rinse well and pat dry with paper towel. Air dry thoroughly.
How long will it take for me to receive my pearls?
We ship orders within 48 hours after you place your order via U.S. Priority mail, delivery confirmation, unless the item needs to be custom made, it may take a few days longer but we will contact you right away if the order is not shipped out within the 48 hours.
A "priority mail" shipping usually takes 2 to 3 days to get to you and no signature is required unless you specifically request that.
If you wish to receive you order sooner you can select "overnight shipping" while ordering. Minimum charge for overnight shipping is $15.
Can I return my order? How do I do that?
Yes you can return your order within 15 days for any reason. You can return your order in its original condition for a refund or exchange (within 30 days for exchange).
To return your item, ship to:
4039A N. Ravenswood Ave.
Chicago IL 60613.
Please do not put the word "pearls" any place in the address. This will reduce the chance of theft. If you wish to exchange your item, please contact us. We will be pleased to manage your exchange with you.
- Mail us your item through a traceable shipper, UPS, USPS Priority Mail, etc., to the address listed below. We recommend that you insure your package or use delivery confirmation in the unlikely event that it is lost in transit. Bourdage is not responsible for lost packages.
- We will be sure to contact you if there are any charges associated with your repair before beginning to work on your piece. Please note that traditional restringing of broken necklaces or bracelets is done at a nominal charge of $1 per knot if the purchase was from Bourdage and $2 per knot otherwise.
- Please DO NOT send the original pouches or packaging received at the time of purchase along with your item as it will not be returned.
- Package the item carefully, enclose any paperwork that you might have as well as your personal information including your name, address, phone number, email and any specific instructions.
- Send your item to the address below:
4039A N. Ravenswood Ave.
Chicago, IL 60613
Please allow for 1 to 4 weeks on all custom orders and repairs.